If you are a developer or a homebuyer, this article will aid you understand the importance of a completion certificate.
The Completion Certificate is a vital document showing that the property was built to standards and proves the legality of the real estate project.
A Certificate of Completion is a legal document given to a residential project after an approved building plan is completed. All housing projects are awarded a Completion Certificate after the relevant authorities visit the site and check all documents to ensure that the housing project does not violate applicable building regulations. The developer is responsible for obtaining a certificate of completion for the housing project.
Meaning of Certificate of Completion for Developers
Developers cannot apply for utilities such as water and sewerage unless they have a certificate of completion for the housing project. A certificate of completion is very crucial for developers to legalize construction. Without this certification, the structure will not be considered legal and may cause problems later. Below are some of the reasons why CC is crucial.
- It contains all the construction information, such as the developer’s name, the plot location and identification, the building height, and the quality of the building materials.
- It indicates that it has been constructed following an approved building plan and all building codes, including building height, distance from the street, and distance to neighbouring buildings.
- This certificate is mandatory for electricity and water applications.
- A client can apply for an occupancy certificate after receiving a completion certificate.
Meaning of Certificate of Completion for Homebuyers
Certificates of Completion are often assumed to be for developers or builders only. Homebuyers also tend to ignore the fact that the builder has her CC. However, a certificate of completion is required for the Purchaser as well.
- A certificate of completion ensures that the Purchaser is not residing on the illegal property.
- A final certificate is the first step towards obtaining a professional certification. It is illegal if people are in a building without a certificate of occupancy.
- A house completion certificate guarantees a regular supply of water and electricity. Property tax incentives can only be applied after a certificate of completion is received.
- A certificate of completion is required to change the residential building water rate from a non-domestic water rate to a domestic water rate.
- Without a certificate of completion, the buyer could face penalties and even eviction from the authorities.
- If you are considering selling in the future, finding a buyer without proof of payment won’t be easy.
- However, when most of the construction work is complete, and the work may be completed soon, the authorities may allow the building to be occupied without a certificate of completion.
- It can happen with projects that have been stalled for a long time. At the same time, if the developer does not issue a Certificate of Completion to the Purchaser, the Purchaser may contact the local authority for the Certificate of Completion.
What are the Certificate Details?
The Certificate of Completion contains all details about the building, including property identification, location, the height of the building, developer/owner details, and the quality of materials used.
It also indicates whether the project was constructed according to the building plans and complied with the rules and regulations set by local government authorities, including distance from roads, the distance between adjacent buildings, etc.
Among the many details included in the Certificate of Completion are the following:
- Property details
- All the details of the construction plan
- All details about the builder
- Approved height of the building
- Project location and distance to other nearby buildings
Essentially, the Certificate of Completion assures the relevant authorities that the property meets all requirements and complies with the approved zoning plan before construction begins. Home buyers can also rest assured that the property is safe to live in and has regular water and electricity supplies.
How Do I Get a Certificate of Completion for My Project?
A builder can apply for a building completion certificate after a construction project. Builders should contact local bodies such as city councils, and local development authorities and authorities will issue a completion certificate only after the building has been inspected.
Required Documents for a Certificate of Completion
The documents required to apply for a Certificate of Completion online vary by state. Each state has different requirements. Here is an available list of mandated documents for the Completion Certificate:
- Duly completed application form
- Construction completion certificate by engineer or architect
- Development plan approval letter (copy)
- Static safety certificate or letter from the relevant technician
- Property tax receipt (copy)
- His NOC of the Fire Brigade, if needed
- NOC for Elevator Installation, if applicable
- sewer NOC
- Water supply planning NOC
- power certificate
- Affidavit of the provisional certificate (if applying for a provisional certificate)
- Other documents or declarations, if applicable
How Long Does it Take to Acquire a Certificate of Project Completion?
After the developer successfully applies, the local government will schedule an inspection. A local city hall or development agency personnel team will inspect the construction according to schedule. Once the building has been determined to comply with all rules and regulations, it will take approximately 3-4 weeks to issue the Completion Certificate.
However, if the inspection team finds severe rules violations, they can issue a letter ordering demolition. For minor infractions, the team will impose appropriate penalties. A certificate of completion will only be issued if all of the above requirements are met.
What If the Developer Doesn’t Have His CC? Should He Buy the Property?
Whenever you buy a home from a developer, you must request a home building completion certificate. A construction completion certificate makes the property legal in the eyes of the authorities.
You will also be guaranteed a supply of electricity and water. A builder cannot apply for and issue a professional certificate without a Completion Certificate, and it is illegal to move into an apartment without proof of residence.
You may face fines or eviction notices from authorities. At the same time, a certificate of completion is also required to claim the mortgage income tax deduction. It is also needed when reselling an apartment or house. Therefore, purchasing this property could be risky if the builder cannot provide a certificate of completion.
How Can Legal Professionals Help?
Professional supervision may be required if you are a property developer or a private homeowner unfamiliar with legal paperwork. Real estate legal documents often need a professional hand to create and manage the entire documentation process. A Certificate of Completion is an essential document that, if not handled properly, can affect the future of your real estate unit.
Documentation attorneys can not only help you understand the whole process, but they can also make the whole design and execution process smoother.
A certificate of completion marks that the building is legal and built according to building codes, and it also ensures that basic facilities in the building are available.
Therefore, all buyers should not avoid requesting a certificate of completion from the developer and owner when purchasing a new home.
A certificate of completion is also the first step towards obtaining an occupancy certificate that indicates the standard of living in the building. Therefore, a certificate of completion guarantees that you have purchased and lived in a safe home.
You may seek legal advice if you need legal advice regarding the documentation process or the format of your home completion certificate. The experienced legal experts will guide you through the entire legal process to obtain your Completion Certificate.
The completion certificate contains all vital information about the project, such as construction materials, building heights, construction plans, etc. Local authorities issue this certificate only after the building project has been checked. CC, therefore, shows that the developer has not violated the rules and guarantees the quality of the property. This certificate is also required to receive utility bills such as water and electricity.
What should I apply for first? certificate of completion or residence certificate?
First, the builder must apply for a Certificate of Completion certifying that the building plan and all other regulations for the construction project have been complied with. You can only obtain a certificate of enrollment after a certificate of completion has been issued.
I am building my own house. Do I need to apply for a certificate of completion?
Yes, as proof of completion, you must prove that your home is legal and it is also required when applying for electricity and water.
Do I need to request a certificate of completion from the developer?
Yes, you definitely should. A certificate of completion ensures that the construction is legal and that you get basic amenities and live in a secure and safe home. If you do not have a certificate of completion, you may be fined or have your property confiscated by the authorities.
Is a certificate of completion required for property registration?
No, a certificate of completion is not required for real estate registration. However, it ensures the legal status of the property and prevents the buyer from facing legal action from the authorities in the future.
Can I apply for a provisional certificate of completion?
Yes, you can apply for a provisional certificate of completion once most of your building project is complete. However, it is only valid for six months, and you must complete the rest of the work within six months to receive a certificate of completion.